September 2016 -Application for Botany Volunteer accepted and a trip into World Museum Liverpool for the Interview. It was lovely to meet Geraldine, Donna and Wendy, and the prospective volunteers were taken for a tour of the Herbarium.
The projects offered to us include: Documentation, Specimen Mounting, Digitisation, Library Work and Collections Care, all of which will help to give increased accessibility of the collections and will facilitate scientific research. A range of activities allow volunteers to work to their specialisms and to learn more about conservation. Such tasks include:
- Creating records within Mimsy XG database
- Preparing and mounting specimens following best practice criteria
- Researching and imaging botanical collections
- Editing images on the Image Management System (IMS)
- Production of new folders and labels as required
- Re-organising specimens
- Re-shelving and classifying new books to Dewey Decimal Classification 21
Labelling reprint collection
Having long been interested in the Natural Sciences, I am delighted to have this post, and look forward to blogging my progress.